Monday, September 4, 2017

In Memory of Jerry Lewis and the Labor Day Telethon

photo credit


Here it is almost the end of Labor Day in the states. For years this meant me being semi-attached to a TV watching the Muscular Dystrophy Telethon hosted by Jerry Lewis. I simply could not help myself. I loved his movies and I loved him.

I was such a fan that I even once wrote him hoping some day to meet him in person. Yeah, I was that enthralled!

He was just as much a part of Labor Day for me than any bbq I actually attended. He was a hero to me and a hero to so many children and adults with MD. Even when 911 happened, he was amazing and still raised the funds BUT helped promote raising funds for another charity that was helping with that awful event. He knew too that the USA needed him to say something and he did. It was classy and the country responded.

I cannot even fathom now the millions of dollars he helped MDA raise over the years that he was the host.
And then...

He wasn't. After he left as host, I left too and my donations with it. Maybe that is something I should not admit, but I did. (For the record, I donate to others) I know what has been said and I know he was not in good health and all of that BUT he was the face of MDA and my childhood.

I think the world lost another great this year and that truly makes me sad.

Peace out...
Michelle

No comments: