Friday, September 7, 2018

I Have Had A (Somewhat Secret) Love Affair For Years...



This is a story about how one woman, me, who has a love affair with Scholastic Books.
Before you ask, I am not an affiliate or getting any compensation.

So, the story.

As many of you may or may not know. I have a love for books. I love to read them and review them. I personally have an affinity for children's books but that is not all I read. I just happen to love the colorful illustrations, poetry, and the variety of seriousness to silliness.

Like many kids, I started receiving Scholastic book pages at school. Note: I had books in my hands way before this but this is an explanation.  Anyway,  when I brought the pages home, my Mom and I would look them over and I got to pick out a couple or so. She excited me about having new books to read.

Back then, (Omgsh that sounds old) Scholastic also sold posters and as I liked them, Mom would usually let me buy one or I would get one free with the order. I loved everything about Scholastic. This went on until I reached the age when I could no longer get them. Even though I grew up, I missed being able to peruse the pages.

Then, I had kids!

Once again, I was giddy because I sat down with my own kids and we would order. I would always order even if they did not want something. If I did not order, my Mom would for them but that was a rare occasion. Then Scholastic was big on stickers. Both kids had sticker books I started for them and so we always got those too. There again, the kids grew up and I was left with no more Scholastic pages. What was a girl to do?


That is when I got a job at a private elementary school and guess what I was in charge of? That's right, book orders! This was a total dream for me because not only did I get free books but I got all the points to get...MORE FREE BOOKS! I was in charge of book reports too. Guess where the books came from?  I seriously was in heaven!
This lasted only a couple of years though and once again, I found myself with nowhere to order from my beloved Scholastic books.

For years!

There was to be sunshine ahead though.

Eight years ago, my first grandchild was born. When she got old enough to go to kindergarten, I was excited as can be. So was her aunt, my daughter, because by now, she too had a love for Scholastic.
The first day my granddaughter came home with them, I felt like I was once again that young Michelle back in kindergarten that got to bring home her first pages to look at and buy.

Did I buy books and stuff for my granddaughter? You bet I did! I did for two years.
Then I moved away. sigh...

But TODAY happened...

Today my oldest grandson, who is now in Kindergarten, came home with his very first pages. His Mother sat down with him and they looked through everything. He has picked out games with ninjas, rock kits, and books with Peppa Pig and other older books that have been around. Yes, he is getting Pokemon stickers too for free! He also has a pending wish list. The kid wanted $60 worth!

Oh, what fun! All this could now be done online.

Guess who else ordered?

I love you Scholastic Book Club Pages!

Michelle aka Naila Moon
PS>Do you love them as much as I do? Tell me in comments.

1 comment:

Peggy's Hope 4 U said...

Sigh, I remember how excited my kids were. I'd forgotten all about them...thanks for the memories!