Monday, November 22, 2010

12 Days of Christmas Blog Challenge Day 1



Today begins the 12 Days of Christmas blog challenge and what better way to start off the challenge than with traditions.
Growing up we had many traditions.

Mom handing out presents in 2007
After we had just gone to midnight Mass, the brothers and I would always wake up at oh...around 5 AM and just clamoring to open presents.  Mom & Dad ALWAYS made us wait. This was so Mom could light all the candles all over the house. Later I found out it was also so Dad and Grandpa could finish putting together something...bike maybe. Anyway, my Grandparents were always there on Christmas morning.
Before we even opened gifts, my Mom would light the Christ candle on the advent wreath and read a reading from the advent book she had.
By 8AM we were off to my Grandparents to open presents there and have Christmas breakfast with the extended family.


Over the years, my brothers and I had kids and started our own traditions, although we still went to Mom & Dad's house.
In my own family, I kept some of the traditions. However, I was divorced so my kids went to their Dad's house Christmas eve and arrived at my house on Christmas morning.


My crazy kids at Christmas
As time continued to move forward, so did our traditions.  Grandpa was now gone and Grandma too old to hold Christmas at her house. We still celebrate with her as she now lives in a nursing home.

Some of the family with Grandma in 2009


One of my nieces looking in her stocking
Mom and Dad still have Christmas at their house complete with the stockings on the wall. However, we are not all there anymore because we are spread out across the country and world.

In 2008, I began yet another tradition. As I had not lived here in Colorado too long and could not get home, my daughter flew out to visit, my son could not come out.  We opened Christmas presents and that afternoon, Tamirisc and I got married!  That is right, we married Christmas day!


Us, Christmas Day 2008

In 2009 my entire family met once again for Christmas, as we flew home. They got to meet Tamirisc for the first time. 
One of the things my kids and I always have done is take a Christmas family photo. I can say, it is NOT traditional! ;)
Here' proof:

2007

2009-the additions are Tamirisc on the left & daughter-in-law on the right
 Peace...Naila Moon

No comments: