Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Memories of the heart

"The heart hath its own memory, like the mind. And in it are enshrined
the precious keepsakes, into which is wrought the giver’s loving thought." ~ H.W. Longfellow
 

Have you ever been some place or waiting for something and a memory just floods back at you? It could even be a memory that was long forgotten or maybe even never remembered until that very moment in time?

This is exactly what happened to me today.   I was waiting in my car as my husband was filling up the gas tank. A memory of my Dad came rushing at me at such a pace that I could almost not breathe.

Here is the memory:
A few years back, I was at home in the early evening/afternoon.  I received a call from my doctors office informing me of some test results I had previously that week.  The results were that I was diagnosed with having diabetes type 2.  I remembered that I was totally upset and called my Dad. (I do not remember where my Mom was). 

Over the phone he said not to worry and that I would be alright and "we" would do what we had to do.  He calmed me down and I told him ok. Then I hung up wit him.

I had calmed myself for about 10 minutes when he walks in the door but my Dad.  He had not been at work that long when I called him.  I asked him what he was doing home and he said, "My daughter was upset and I needed to be home with her, so, here I am."

I remember telling him that he did not have to come home but I was glad he did. He spent the rest of the evening just talking with me about whatever.


----------------------
I can honestly say that this memory had been long forgotten and pushed out by so many other not so great memories. Dad and I spent years angry at each other for what now seems so stupid.  I wish that I could have remembered this a long time ago.  Maybe it would have made a difference to me, maybe not.  In any case, I am glad that I remember it because it brings something positive to my life. Something positive about Dad.


I cannot help to think that maybe even Dad...wherever he is now...possibly remembered this time too and wanted me to remember the positive times between us.  I am glad that I did no matter what.

I miss my Dad in ways that are unbelievable now.


~Naila Moon

No comments: