Sunday, September 6, 2020

Labor Day Weekend Telethon Memories

When I think of Labor Day, my mind will always go the Jerry Lewis Muscular Dystrophy Telethon. It was a staple of the weekend and yes, I donated for years. I watched Ed McMahon announce the newest total and it was always a rush.


I marveled at the many stars that passed through but the most memorable for me is when Dean Martin showed up with Frank Sinatra. It had been years since Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin had been on the same stage. It was not only a surprise for Jerry Lewis but a truly magical moment that would go down in history.



I think when Jerry Lewis was asked to leave it put a hole in me and others that could not ever be filled again. It was just one of those things where life moved on and only left the memory. It is missed and I truly think those of his "kids" and us miss him.  Thanks for the memories.


~Michelle

Addendum: Tonight I ran across the telethon still being held in St. Louis. I was surprised as I did not know it was still going. This leg of the telethon was always broadcast in sync with the major overall telethon and outlets around the country. It too had stories to tell and memories I will not forget. eg. When the original host, Bob the weather guy, died previous months before in a helicopter crash, people flooded the telethon with notes and donations in his name.  Mike Bush, his friend, had co-hosted with him and since then has been the host to this day.

No comments: