Sunday, October 13, 2013

Be Aware...Day 13

Today my friends I am taking a break from Halloween spook-tacular to shed some light on other things in October.

We all know it is Breast Cancer awareness month. I have two aunts who have fought the fight and won! A couple of years ago, I dressed up to pay homage to them and others who continue to fight. I went as the Breast Cancer Awareness Fairy.

 
 
This month is also Domestic Violence awareness month. I wish I could tell you that I have never encountered this. I wish I could say that someone in my family was not one of the statistics. Unfortunately, I can't. Oh yes, it happens to some men too.
Abuse in whatever form, is still abuse and it must be stopped!
 


 The last one I want you to make aware of, which ironically tends to go along with the one above, is National Bullying awareness month.


Who has not heard of the issues surrounding bullying? When I was a kid, it was consider kids being kids. Truth though is, it is a life long scar that for some can never be erased. Others, like myself, can overcome but it takes a lot of time to do that.

Yes, I was bullied. It is like I said, then we did not have a name for it. Today, I think it is worse than ever and kids are dying from it. It should never happen!

Statiscally in 2010:

Over half, about 56 percent, of all students have witnesses a bullying crime take place while at school.
  • A reported 15 percent of all students who don't show up for school report it to being out of fear of being bullied while at school.
  • There are about 71 percent of students that report bullying as an on-going problem.
  • Along that same vein, about one out of every 10 students drops out or changes schools because of repeated bullying.
  • One out of every 20 students has seen a student with a gun at school.
  • Some of the top years for bullying include 4th through 8th graders in which 90 percent were reported as victims of some kind of bullying.
  • Other recent bullying statistics reveal that 54 percent of students reported that witnessing physical abuse at home can lead to violence in school. 
  • Among students of all ages, homicide perpetrators were found to be twice as likely as homicide victims to have been bullied previously by their peers.
  • There are about 282,000 students that are reportedly attacked in high schools throughout the nation each month. 

  • There are steps you can do. Just do them.
    ----------------------
    All in all, be aware and take action.
    ~Naila Moon

    1 comment:

    Adaptable Kay said...

    Thankfully when I was in school, elementary through high school, I didn't give a care in regards to being bullied. I'm lucky that I was a likeable person so I was rarely a target but for the one or two people who picked on me (or my friends), oh, they were sorry.

    This is definitely an important issue that still needs to be brought into the spotlight until it's no longer an issue which, sadly, will probably be awhile.