Thursday, November 15, 2012

Day 15-Comfort of my bed



I have a confession to make. I have not always have had the comfort of a bed to sleep in, not even a couch. In fact, there was a time when my children and I went months sleeping on the hard floor.

It was one of the rougher periods our life as a family. I was a single mother working full time but still could often not make ends meet with my two growing children. For months we laid on the floor of my parent's living room because that was the only room in their house and I could not afford beds for us. So, every night I unrolled a comforter, put it on the floor with a pillow for the kids to share and that is how we slept.

That is, we slept that way until one Christmas eve.  The kid's and I had gone out somewhere, maybe Christmas light looking. When we got home the house was dark with the exception of candles my Mother had lit. We walked inside the house and there, right there in the living room, was the most gorgeous bed I had ever seen. If that was not enough, right next to it was a bunk bed for my kids.



I literally cried when I saw them and my kids giggled and claimed a bed for their own. The gift was from friends I had been working with as a volunteer youth minister. They had pulled their money together and bought us this precious gift. It was a beautiful thing they did for us.

I had that bed for several years until it finally fell apart. Of course the kids outgrew their bed but the memory of that night was forever etched it our minds.  I was never so grateful than the comfort of my own bed as I am to this day.

Peace...
~Naila Moon

1 comment:

Dilovely said...

What a wonderful story! A good bed is a blessing indeed - and a good sleep, even more so! I hope you always sleep well.