Thursday, May 19, 2011

Turning point

I suppose there comes a point in everyone's life where you just plain get old.  I am not sure when that is exactly because I have always thought being old was a state of mind. 


I do not want to be a downer or anything but getting too old sometimes worries me. I am 43. Is that TOO old? Truly, I do not think so but for some it just may be.

What really has me thinking about all this tonight is my father.  My father is 73 years old. To some he may be a young whipper snapper. To others, he is really ancient.  His outlook for himself is rather grim.
You see, he acts like someone who is really 100.  Maybe it is because he is dying.  He has liver and lung cancer along with COPD and heart failure.  He must be on oxygen 24/7.




This afternoon, my Mom (who is 71 and acts 40) decided along with the doctor that Dad had to be put in to a nursing home. It is not an easy decision to make.  (Dad does not know this yet.)

Simply put, he is becoming more and more difficult to handle with his problems and he is increacinly becoming forgetful. However, he is quite lucid. He sleeps all the time. It is getting to a point where he cannot be left alone at all! We have truly come to a turning point.  




The truth of the matter is he was supposed to have passed before now. He was diagnosed in October and they only gave him through January. Some how he is hanging on. We think it is the power of prayer because let me tell you, he is covered.

So the question is... is he now TOO old? 


Have you faced this? How do you feel about turning another day older? Have you had to put someone you love in a nursing home?

Peace...Naila Moon 



#ff63e0A Mommy's Sweet Blog Design Friday Blog Hop







10 comments:

Quirky Homemaker said...

I have not had to put anyone into a nursing home and do not look forward to having to do it. I'm sorry for everything that you guys are going through. Prayers for you all. Thanks for visiting us at the S&R weekend hop and for posting the button. I think age is a state of mind and I don't think there is a "too old", although my body sure doesn't feel the same as it used to when I was 20!

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com said...

So sorry. We had to put my grandfather in a nursing home, and it was heartbreaking. Hang in there...it's tough.

Following from the hop. :)

Ginger
gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I had to put my mom in one recently but there is so much comfort knowing that she is watched over and cared for...she seems to be having fun!! She made lots of new friends and goes out with them...she returned to church..it has been a blessing! I refuse to get old...I love your moms attitude!!

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Forgot to add...i am a new follower and hope you will visit me and follow as well!!

Style, Decor & More said...

Your Mom sounds great!
I'm a new follower from the "Over 40" hop!
Hope you can hop by and visit my blog too. If you like giveaways, I have one for Enjoy Hair Care Thermal Spray.
Have a great weekend!
http://www.stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

Patricia said...

I went through this with my dad he had alzhiemers. He got so confused that he kept proposing to me. No matter how many times I told him I was his daughter he said that was ok he would marry me anyway. He was like a little child. My prayers go out to you seeing you parents age and leave you mentally is very painful. But you can let go of the sadness and try to make the ending of thier life a joyful and peaceful time. God Bless You and Yours!

Patricia said...

I am following you via SRW blog hop. Please follow me.

http://itsabouttimemamaw.blogspot.com/

Sunray Gardens said...

Followed from Friday blog, stop by and follow when you have time.
Cher

Anonymous said...

Follow Friday blog and friend above and following now. Stop by and follow when you can. Thanks.

Shabby Chic Boho said...

I am so sorry. I can't begin to imagine what you are going through. I'm lucky that my parents have no health issues to date such as this. Prayers and hugs.