Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Tuesday Topics...New Year Luck



Happy New Year Everyone!

Did you ever wonder why people do the things they do for luck on New Year's Day or what they even mean? Well, I am here to tell you some of the goodies.



Kissing at Midnight-how many of us have kissed the person next to us at Midnight or hopefully our significant other?  Legend has it that we should actually kiss our significant others because by doing so, we are sealing our relationship with them for another year. Not doing so would supposedly give us a year of coldness with them.  I guess I am good then! *grins*



Stocking up/money in the wallet-apparently, one must make sure that their shelves are full and everyone in the household has plenty of money in their wallets before the New Year. I wonder how much that is? Anyway, the idea is that by doing this, prosperity will befall the family for the year.  I hope I am ok in this area. I mean, I was not at home to stock up and well...I was broke before the New Year but I wished for it. Does that count? ok, yeah, I say so...moving on.


Eating black-eyed peas-in my household this has always been a must from since I was a little kid. This is a tradition that is mostly southern USA but has roots in other places.  The idea here is that the black-eyed peas look like eyes that attract money and fortune to the household. Frankly, I don't get it but whatever the case it is done in this house. Also, we always eat at least a pinch of sauerkraut. This was a tradition my Dad always did to attract luck and good fortune in the New Year.



Making loud noise at Midnight-if you are like me, you at least yelled, "Happy New Year" at the top of your lungs or watched loud fireworks or blew a horn or...
The thought here is that the louder you are the better because it drives evil spirits away.  Frankly, I hope there were none around you to begin with but better safe than sorry. Ey?

This is just a few of the numerous things people do all around the world on New Year's Day to bring them luck and prosperity. It cannot hurt to do one or any or these things now can it?  Like so many, it comes out of tradition and we really do not know why we do them, we just do. I hope maybe I cleared up the why.

I certainly hope that luck and for sure prosperity is what is in Mark and I's year this year.  I hope that it is there for you too. Happy New Year!

~Naila Moon


3 comments:

Linda said...

One good luck traditions that I know of is to eat herring at midnight. It is probably either Norwegian or Swedish tradition. I have Norwegian blood in me..........way back.

Rebecca said...

the one i heard is a south thing about eating black eye peas for luck and collard greens for money

Mark Paul said...

Great customs. When my brother was married to his first wife, not only did we do the black eyeyed peas, but ham and collard greens and there was a soup too that I can not remember. Had this meal at midnight of course.

Here's to a successful new year for us.