Wednesday, April 4, 2012

*E



I was thinking today I would talk about that one mythical creature we all think about this time of year...the Easter Bunny and Easter eggs.

The Easter Bunny has always ranked right up there with Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy, but how did he/she come to be?  What about the whole egg thing too? I mean seriously, have you really ever looked at a real Easter Bunny? If not, go here. They have no hands to carry the baskets for gosh sakes!

I thought I might do a little investigation to find out the whole origin of said bunny. I first thought I should get a plane ticket and "hop" on over to Easter island. Surely that is where they came from? Then I realized I  couldn't put all my eggs in one basket.

So, I thought I would do the next best thing and check out the History Channel. I mean, they have everything over there right?
Here is what I found out:
  •  It is thought that the Easter bunny first arrived in America in the 1700s with German immigrants.
  • They had a tradition called, "Osterhase" which was an egg-laying hare, kids made nest for them to lay eggs.
  • This grew in to the stories and traditions of a bunny delivering goodies to children. Baskets replaced nests.
  • Easter egg origins vary. Pagans say they symbolize the newness of life in the Spring, while Christians say they represent Jesus coming out of the tomb on resurrection day.
  •  It is known that Easter eggs were decorated as far back as 13th century. According to the History Channel this was because eggs were forbidden food during Lent and it was a celebration to get to eat them again, so, people simply decorated them.

All in all, does it really matter where the Easter Bunny's origins come from? It is as good as any child's imagination...
...or mine for that matter. 

*looks around with basket in hand* Now where did he/she hide those eggs?

 

 

6 comments:

MOV said...

Naila,

Great post! Very informative. I never knew that history, so I am glad I stopped by.

Found you on the a to z, and will definitely be back to read more!

Feel free to take a peek at my blog if you have time:

http://mothersofbrothersblog.blogspot.com

best,
MOV

Jenny said...

Fun post. How does the Easter bunny carry that darn basket? Love the animated egg drop!

Michelle aka Naila Moon said...

Thanks for coming by. I will be "hopping" over shortly. ;-)

Michelle aka Naila Moon said...

I think the eggs dropping is cute too.
As for the egg carrying...hmm...maybe strapped on the back? lol
Thanks for coming by.

S. L. Hennessy said...

Yay for Easter! Can't wait to make Easter eggs with my family. Great post and happy A-Z blogging!

Michelle aka Naila Moon said...

I always enjoyed doing that too. Happy a great time and thanks for coming by.