Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tuesdays Topics...Freedom 1/22/2013


Welcome back to Tuesdays Topics with me, Naila Moon.
Today I want to talk to you about freedom. Yeah, I know...do not send me letters...ok, just hear me out.

picture source

Per Webster's Dictionary:

Definition of FREEDOM

1
: the quality or state of being free: as

a : the absence of necessity, coercion, or constraint in choice or action
b : liberation from slavery or restraint or from the power of another : independence
c : the quality or state of being exempt or released usually from something onerous <freedom from care>
d : easefacility freedom
>

e : the quality of being frank, open, or outspoken freedom
>
f : improper familiarity
g : boldness of conception or execution
h : unrestricted use freedom
 of their home>

2
a : a political right
-----------------------------------------------------------

Most people I would safely say, see the correct definition is #2. However, I find #1b to be interesting.
Yesterday our nation celebrated not only the 2nd inauguration of our President but also celebrated Martin Luther King's birthday, a man who is synonymous with freedom.
The word itself conjures so many ideas of what it really is to the varying people to whom the word applies.
picture source
Here in the United States we do indeed see freedom as a political right for everyone in the whole world but yet, we also define that right based on our own thoughts and life style. Just in this past year I have seen fights over the "freedom" to marry, the "freedom" of religion, the "freedom" to smoke/not smoke, the "freedom" to be born, the "freedom" to...you name it here.
So, I suppose that brings me back to the definition of #1b, we want to be free of another's restraint over us but yet we can not seem to agree on just how that is to be done when so many of us disagree on the same issues.  Yes, we also have the "freedom" to our own opinion but if that "freedom" restrains me then I am not free either. Am I?

Oh such a perplexity! 
~Naila Moon

Tell me what you think about my topic today. I welcome your comments. I just ask that you be respectful of all.


3 comments:

XmasDolly said...

Many years ago in cosmetology school our teacher taught us something that always stuck in my head & that is dealing with the public there's three subjects you never talk about and that is politics, sex and religion. I rest my case. Have a great day!

Mark Paul said...

Freedom is one of those intangible tangibles.

It is not something you can physically hold onto, yet it something that is so valuable that we would fight and die for.

The freedom to act and to achieve is something we do not think about honestly, until we suddenly feel that it is taken from us.

Excellent blog as always. Oh and to Dolly, true freedom means being able to express ones self no matter the topic, other wise you have a police state like the old USSR.

Colette S said...

Such a perplexity indeed.

Free for me means Free to live in peace in all ways.

I think many seek freedom to to things that will hurt others just to please themselves. Such is not freedom.