Saturday, April 26, 2014

Word Up! #atoz challenge



“I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.” 
― Markus ZusakThe Book Thief

Words have power in our world. 

Words can be harmful if used in the wrong context and sometimes damaging to ones soul. Seriously!
On the other hand, words if used correctly and lovingly can lift a persons spirit. 

Words can move people to act, to live compassionately, to win, to thrive, to seek, to love, to hate, to know.

I have an absolute fascination with words. I like to use sophisticated words in my writings and speech.
I like to look up the meanings of words, like these...

Wording: The style of expressing in words.

Whiffletree: The pivoted horizontal crossbar to which the harness traces of a draft animal are attached. (what?)

Wonted: Accustomed; usual

Wrought: Put together

See what I mean about words? I actually own a large Webster's dictionary and still look up words in it. Yes, of course I could Google but then, I might not learn new words to share with you.

Do you like the use of words? Tell me a favorite word of your own.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

The power of words. They can be great but at the same time so harmful.

LA Botchar said...

Definitely pride myself on being a Word Wrangler. What I really enjoy is that some of our Canadian English is sprinkled with a bit of proper British English, and/or slang: so you might hear me say something like "well chuffed" and a lot of "brilliant." But, we are a dual language nation so you are very likely to hear some French too. And no, I don't just mean "those French" words. LOL
I love the Old English words like "whilst" instead of "while." Or similarly, "amongst" rather than just "among".