Wednesday, April 11, 2012

*J

* Jacks

Growing up was always a great time. We just simply had fun using our imagination (gasp!) and playing simple games.  One of the games I liked to play was Jacks.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacks

I had several sets in my young life. I had mostly metal sets but I did have a plastic set too. They were very cheap to buy. With my mere allowance of 50 cents (gasp again-really?) if I did not buy a knock-off Barbie or two, I bought them. 

As I had three brothers, I usually played this game by myself when I was at home. However, I did play sometimes at school. This being of course before they had metal detectors and worried about kids poking someone's eye out or worse.

The rules of the game were quite simple and unbeknown to me, a way to learn simple math. You bounced the ball and picked up a jack (onsies), bounce it again pick up two (twosies), etc. etc. If you bounced the ball more than once, then the next person played.
I suppose since I played the game by myself most of the time, then my imaginary friend must have gone next. *chuckles*

Did you ever play Jacks? What kind of children's games did you play? Tell me about it?


~Naila Moon
 

1 comment:

Grammy said...

Hi, Yep, I played Jacks when I was a little girl and then played them later when I had two little girls of my own. (with them). Played hop scotch, Mother May I, Red Rover, and a lot of other games. Interesting post. So nice to meet you. Ruby