Thursday, February 19, 2015

Red Faced... a poem. (Mama Kat prompt inspired)

Red Faced
by MR/aka Naila Moon
All rights reserved 2015

Gently I looked out my window onto the horizon.

There I saw her,
hair dirty,
clothes unkempt,
and holes in her blue jean pockets.

She was just a wisp of a thing.
She moved slowly.
Obviously,
the world was bearing down on her shoulders.

I watched her.
Children ran by,
cars avoided her,
and people walked by
not noticing.

Or did they?

I did,
and my face went red,
the heat bellowing,
to the depths
of my soul.

It hurt me to know
that this woman,
this lost soul,
was looking for food,
in my garbage container
just outside my window.

It hurt me to know
that she just wanted someone
to see her,
to notice her,
as they ran by,
not caring,

I did.
I cared.

But by the time I took
action,
she was gone.

Life had moved on
for her.

For me,
time stood still
for a moment.

Once again,
my face went red,
as I realized,
I have a good life.
-----------------------

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

That is so sad that people in need go unnoticed.
They aren't invisible. They need our compassion and help.
It does make you think of all the blessings in your life. The big and small.
Very well written.

Patty said...

A very sad part of human nature when those who make us uncomfortable in some way become invisible as we pass them by. Why is it that we fear offering some type of support while failing to remember that, there, but for the grace of God, go any one of us. Well done!

The Lovely One said...

Excellent message. I think people would rather ignore some situations than face the truth.

Pierced Wonderings said...

This is lovely. I think sometimes we don't see because we would then have to face who close we are to her - how easily we could be her. If we ignore her, if we pretend we don't see her, that she doesn't exist, then we don't have to think of that possibility for us.

Jen - Pierced Wonderings

Unknown said...

I see this almost every day and I struggle with it every single day. I hear you, though I wish I could say more. It's just that I still am not sure how much I can or should do.

KatBouska said...

Wow, my heart would break to see someone digging through our trash.

Unknown said...

Even though I'm broke I still don't hesitate to give someone change if I have it. Its always important to pay it forward.

LA Botchar said...

Amazing. this simple, but profound snapshot of life.... Love it. well done.