Saturday, September 17, 2011

Day 16...The gift of life...organ donation.

In the last two days, I have been reading books simply for the pleasure of it. At this point, you may be saying, "So what?" However, since I am usually reading college books, it is certainly a nice change. 

The irony is the two books I chose are closely related.  I want to talk with you about this one first.

If you have not read this book then I recommend you do.  Although, Natalie Cole is well known for her singing and her famous dad, it is not that well known as to how close she was to her sister.  

This book however, is more than that. This book is about two sets of sisters and how they come together to help Natalie live.  Natalie speaks highly of her kidney donor and the blessing she received from it. Her donor's sister, Patty, wrote one line that resonated with me. (paraphrased) "I knew when I touched Natalie's side that Jessica was living on. I felt her presence."


As you may or may not know, I am a proponent for organ donation.  My Dad believed in it so much that he managed to get the bill passed in Missouri for all people to be asked if they wanted to donate upon receiving their license.


Upon his passing a few months ago, his eyes were donated to a potential donor. Unfortunately, that was all he could donate due to his own health issues.  The nice thing was and for that matter is, my Dad's life lives on.  His presence, even if only a small part, lives on.


This knowing makes me happy, just as it did Patty.


~Naila Moon


For your listening pleasure :)






No comments: