Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Day 27...Banned



This week continues on with the "celebration" of banned books.
According to the American Library Association ,
"Banned Books Week is an annual event celebrating the freedom to read and the importance of the First Amendment.  Held during the last week of September, Banned Books Week highlights the benefits of free and open access to information while drawing attention to the harms of censorship by spotlighting actual or attempted bannings of books across the United States."




I always tend to think it is my right to read what I want, when I want. However, the truth is, all across the country and the world books get challenged for their content. For example, one of the most popular children's book of our times is Harry Potter has often been challenges.  Here is a list of the top 10 from 2010.  Amazing huh?

I simply cannot imagine that there really are banned books or at least books that are often challenged. Some books have not only been removed from shelves but down right burnt.  I grew up with a plethera of books readily available to me and was challenged to read them.


I suppose that is why when I was sitting in my college library today and saw that this library as well as libraries across the country were "celebrating", I would too.  So, I chose a book and will be reading it tonight.  I will not tell you what book it is because, as much as I feel I have the right to read it, I also feel you have the right not to.

So, I leave you curled up to a good book.


Until tomorrow...peace,
Naila Moon



No comments: